Saturday, March 27, 2010

MEEC 2010

This weekend is the Midwest Ecology and Evolution Conference in Ames, Iowa.  Last night was the first of three plenary talks, delivered by Dr. Jeff Feder. I was somewhat familiar with his work and really interested in hearing more about his take on mechanisms that promote speciation.  The talk was so much better than I could have ever expected.  He captured many aspects that are of increasing interest to me including speciation, insects as model organisms, sympatric speciation (ecological), post/prezygotic isolation, biodiversity... It gave me a new lease on life by hearing him talk about these large concepts that drive his research because we share so much in common. 

Before his talk I sat down with a friend and mentor, just to catch up because I hadn't seen her in a while.  We talked about life and work and the balance of those to ever important items.  Many women at the same stage as I am now drop out of the pipeline.  Disappear from academia and become mothers, or follow their spouses to jobs.  It's a very difficult decision to "sacrifice" your work for that of someone else.  Even successful people drop out at this juncture.  So these thoughts were going through my mind as I was captivated by fly-parasite-plant interactions. 

I don't know where we will be in a year, two years, four years.  But hopefully my work can take a new direction at this point.  Not that the current direction is bad, but I have other ideas on how to integrate my interests in ecology, evolution and entomology.

No comments:

Post a Comment