Monday, September 22, 2008

How to Describe My Research to the Average Joe or Jane




This is exactly how I felt at my recent 10 year high school reunion.  I need to work up a description of my research for people that could really care less about science and the scientific process.  This should help with my statement of "why/how my research pertains the greater good of society" for this NSF proposal.  My research certainly has implications for understanding the origin of biodiversity, but that is a pretty overwhelming and lofty goal and likely to get us nowhere with regards to progress in systematics.  People can generally understand the idea of identifying and describing new species to science, but this is only a means to the end game of my research which is asking questions about the modes of speciation, evolutionary relatedness, and phylogeography of groups of species. 

No comments:

Post a Comment