Tuesday, September 16, 2008


Yesterday at lunch I sat down to read Felsenstein's chapter from the text Morphology, Shape and Phylogeny (2002). From his section entitled "Fossil and neontological data" is the idea that you can use molecular sequences of recent species to create a phylogeny which can then be used to transform quantitative characters to independence thus rendering them useful for phylogenetics. This same idea could be useful for me where I cannot collect molecular data from the hundreds of museum specimens I have, but that through this method, the morphometric data I have collected from those specimens is useful in recreating the evolutionary history through this process of accounting for the covariance matrix through the use of the molecular data I do have from fresh specimens. My modified version of Felsenstein's figure 3.2 (right) takes advantage of the covariance matrix produced from the phylogeny created using molecular data from fresh specimens and the morphometric data to create a "global" phylogeny from all data available.


No comments:

Post a Comment